Month: January 2014

Rhino – WIP #1

Here are a few WIP shots of my first vehicle for the Sons of Medusa. I wanted to test the vehicle color scheme so that I could easily reproduce it on the rest of the army. I’m really pleased so far, except for the blacks. The grey edge highlight is sloppy and does’t feel right for the model. I’ll try and figure out how to do it better. I also still have some detail work and washing/blacklining to work on, but I think the color combination is nice.

Sons of Medusa Test Model – Better Photos

Sons of Medusa – Color Test

I painted up a tac marine up real quick tonight to see if my plan for painting would work. The picture doesn’t show it very well and there is a little bit of sloppy work from rushing it, but I’m really pleased with the result. I will change a few things, but the overall plan should work out.

Mechanicum Incoming

I have this years large painting and modeling project decided on.  I’m going to build and paint up 2000 points of Sons of Medusa Space Marines (Iron Hands successor chapter) and Adeptus Mechanicus Allies.  This is going to be mostly an exercise in hobby and I really want to stretch myself with a few new techniques.  Mostly I want to get batter at doing custom modeling work and getting better at kitbashing.  The Mechanicus side will be the place where I really do the most amount of work, the space marines will be mostly stuff I never finished for the Lamenters.  The AdMech are going to be played as Tau allies (unless I figure out a better codex for the rules).  I’m excited for the project and have already started converting models over.  This will be a lot more time consuming to complete compared to my normal building/painting so will probably be fewer models painted over the year.

A few of my ideas:

Knight Titan – converted from Dreadknight kit, this will be run as a Riptide and will be a centerpiece of the army.

Mechanicus Thralls – Converted from Dark Vengeance cultists, these will be the criminals/works picked up from the slums, some basic augments slapped on them, and pressed into service (Fire Warriors, maybe Kroot whichever fits the rules better).

Heavy Ranged Maniples (not sure on name) – converted from IG Sentinels (Broadside rules).

Magos – converted from Vampire Counts Wraith, with necron bits and pieces and a bunch of guns tacked on (Suit Commander)

My Hobby Year in Review – 2013

2013 was a great year for me both in the hobby side and actually playing the game side.  I decided to go see what I had managed to paint last year and I was really happy with my progress.

Total Models Painted: 143

Eldar/Tau: 100 Models (4250+ points)

LIzardmen: 43 Models (1400+ points)

Games Played: 185

Fantasy: 9 Games

40K: 6 Games

Boardgames: 170

Lizardmen Terradon Riders WIP

I got a box of Terradon/Ripperdacytl riders for Christmas this year and managed to put them together and start painting.  I still need to do some detail work and finish up the base, but I love how striking they are.  I will have to eventually pick up another box and do the Ripperdacytls just to paint something similar up.

Lizardmen Terraadon Riders

Lizardmen Terraadon Riders